Thursday, July 7

Acclimation: Try Try Again

As I progressed towards my second pituitary tumor resection, my physicians had some concerns about the amount of stress that could be potentially placed upon my heart, while under anesthesia during the surgery. For I was not as fit as an astronaut--if I had ever been. Although not a requirement for the operation, they were not certain as to how my body would withstand being in suspended animation for several hours. A stress test was ordered.

The goal of the stress test was to get my heart rate up to one hundred and fifty beats per minute, then take an electrocardiogram reading. The reading, coupled with an ECHO, was reviewed by my Cardiologist, who would give the "go ahead." Prior to his approval, a good indicator, for me, was that I did not hock up a lung during the test, nor did I hurl my lunch, which I ate forty-five minutes later: must be control over the reflux nerves!

The surgery was scheduled for Wednesday, June 29, 2011. The Cardiologist confirmed that my heart had enough stamina to handle the operation. So, on Tuesday evening, before midnight, I prepared and devoured Sprouting Beef:
Sprouting Beef
  • Boiled
    • Brussels Sprouts
    • Garlic (minced)
    • Egg Noodles
    • Water (filtered)
  • Pan-fried
    • Cubed Chuck (bite-sized)
    • Coriander Seeds (ground)
    • Jerk Spice
    • Olive Oil
    • Boiled Broth
    • Arrowroot
Sprouting Beef

Post-operation, I was monitored for a couple of days in the Intensive Care Unit.  Having no resounding complications, I was transferred to the Acclimation Ward.

Acclimation Ward

The goal was to rehabilitate the normal do-it-yourself (DIY) home healthcare tasks, and to take note of the severe post-op symptoms: the warning signs of adrenal insufficiency. The DIY for me to focus upon was bathing.

Contemplating DIY Bathing

A day later, I was back home. I quickly re-acclimated myself with the kitchen: utensils and all.
Subtle Tureen and Cute Ladle Soup
  • Wasabi Paste
  • Garlic (minced)
  • Pickled Ginger (minced)
  • Chicken Stock
  • Veggie Noodle Strings
  • Corn Niblets
  • Shrimp (frozen)
As I ate, I watched TV. Soon after, I was upstairs drawing a bath and bathing, during which I caught-up on my podcasts (and while flushing my nose and cleaning the tub). I put on some shorts and t-shirt, then was at the coffee table reading the literature given to me by my Endocrinologist. I checked my email, washed the dishes, and acquired an appetite for a roast beef sandwich with swiss, spicy-mustard, mayonnaise, thick tomato slice on wheat--cheese-powdered chips on the side.

Appetite acclimated, I hungered for sleep and the morn--Once Home Breakfast:
Once Home Breakfast
  • D'Anjou Pear (peeled, cored, poached)
  • Filtered Water
  • Lemon Squeeze
  • Brown Sugar
  • Butter


  • Sun Dried Tomato (minced)
  • Turkey Bacon (chopped)
  • Creme de Coconut
  • Heavy Cream


  • Flounder Fillets (smothered)


  • Croissants (petite)
  • Pear (halves)
  • Kokos Relish (spread)
  • Dried Herb Spine (mint)
  • Eggs (sunny-side, pointed)
Once Home Breakfast

No comments:

Post a Comment